What does AGN really, really need to boost activity?

Got a suggestion or complaint about AGN? Post it here. Use the sub-forums for game specific ones.
Doctor Azo
Head Admin
Head Admin
Medals: 7
Referrer AGN's MC player AGN's TF2 player First year AGNer Kiloposter HoW access
Chatterbox
Has Liked: 177 posts
Liked for: 1218 posts

What does AGN really, really need to boost activity?

Postby Doctor Azo » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:31 pm

Despite the surges in new registrations lately, actual activity is dwindling at best. There ought to be more incitement to post more, but more importantly to actually check back, log on and do something anyway. Most of the new accounts over the last few months never even log on once despite being told if they don't in two years their account will be pruned. I'm getting tired of checking new registrations, activating them and maintaining the thread listing reminders only to have to delete them after 24 months. Right now I'm tempted to reducing the prune time from 2 years to 1, because none of the throw-away accounts logged in after 1 year let alone 2.

To a lesser degree I'm also tempted to starting anew with an orientation-friendly game community for all (or more), with much of our rules and regulations of course that make us refined. If AGN or it's replacement is to grow much more, and thus deserve more time and effort worked on it, it really needs a new approach and appeal to a larger audience. Otherwise the last things I have in mind (website update and MC server update) will be the last time-consuming things I'll do and then leave AGN on auto-pilot until it runs dry. There is AGNIM still, but it's going to take a lot of my time and energy to resume let alone complete and maintain it....currently AGN is not worth that.

So list here, no matter how likely or practical, something you'd like to see or seriously think would greatly boost activity here. I've laid all my cards on the table and quite honestly I still don't think it'll be enough....but maybe someone here will give me another idea or motivate me to focus on something that can reinvigorate the forums.
Community Rules | Newcomer FAQ | Our MC server FAQ | Our TF2 server FAQ
Need help with AGN? Check out the Tech forum.
Drop suggestions & complaints in the Suggestions forum, or PM me.
Our Twitter: @AceGamersNetwrk

"Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change." - Stephen Hawking
dykath
Jr. Community Manager
Jr. Community Manager
Referrer AGN's MC player Nothing personal boss! AGN's TF2 player Kiloposter HoW access
Bug finder
Has Liked: 211 posts
Liked for: 665 posts

Re: What does AGN really, really need to boost activity?

Postby dykath » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:11 am

maybe if all the active members did some more to promote and try to spread agn in to the ace/aro communities and irl if you can. and just help spread it everywhere you can think of.
Let someone do the small things on the site like adding members to the pruned list. along with checking new registrations and just day to day task of managing the site.
Other then helping take the load off of you a bit doc i cant really think of anything else to do.
I am who I am I don't need nor want a label I simply am who I am and your approval is not needed nor wanted I am me and me is pretty awesome.
the state of your life is nothing more than a reflection of your state of mind
If you never look up you will never see the sky, It may be raining but there is a rainbow above you
Doctor Azo
Head Admin
Head Admin
Referrer AGN's MC player AGN's TF2 player First year AGNer Kiloposter HoW access
Chatterbox

Postby Doctor Azo » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:54 pm

It's not the lack of members we're getting in....it's the lack of active members we're getting. I don't want people registering accounts if they have no serious intentions of using it. Members are put off more by the lack of new posts and topics than the member count.

dykath
Jr. Community Manager
Jr. Community Manager
Referrer AGN's MC player Nothing personal boss! AGN's TF2 player Kiloposter HoW access
Bug finder

Postby dykath » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:32 pm

Doctor Azo wrote:It's not the lack of members we're getting in....it's the lack of active members we're getting. I don't want people registering accounts if they have no serious intentions of using it. Members are put off more by the lack of new posts and topics than the member count.

I agree with you totally but even if we keep the 10ish active posters here now as of the last time i looked 122 total members then about 1 out if 12 members are going to be active that are new. I still would think even if AGN had more active members the fact that there are not many post/threads is still a big issue that would not be off set much by the total number of active members. So in that respect yes i also think that daily post count and new threads would be needed but even then new members with new things to talk about would help. so it really all comes back to the number of active posters here. And the only way to grow is to find a place with more target members. and your idea of doing something more along the lines of an orientation friendly gaming community would have a larger target base to take from. then an aro/ace like it comes off as now. and all tho I have been doing my best on trying to get A-specs to join. the A-spec community just is not big enough to have something like this so opening it up with a sister site may have a boost to active members here but other then that what has been said I really have no idea how to boost active member participation on AGN.
I am who I am I don't need nor want a label I simply am who I am and your approval is not needed nor wanted I am me and me is pretty awesome.
If you never look up you will never see the sky, It may be raining but there is a rainbow above you
Doctor Azo
Head Admin
Head Admin
Chatterbox

Postby Doctor Azo » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:26 pm

Only 3 or 4 members (inc. me) are logging in now. Where the hell is everyone? This can't be a coincidence. If this continues I'm going to e-mail all once-very-active members....otherwise the start-new-community plan will be executed and AGN will have it's last year from June.

dykath
Jr. Community Manager
Jr. Community Manager
Bug finder

Postby dykath » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:09 pm

Doctor Azo wrote:Only 3 or 4 members (inc. me) are logging in now. Where the hell is everyone? This can't be a coincidence. If this continues I'm going to e-mail all once-very-active members....otherwise the start-new-community plan will be executed and AGN will have it's last year from June.

yeah wow only 3-4 thats not many at all. i'm not sure where everyone went and there have been many new members to its sad that they dont log in more. maybe the new website will be better who knows. i will be sad to see AGN go though its been fun.
Doctor Azo
Head Admin
Head Admin
Chatterbox

Postby Doctor Azo » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:42 am

These days I'm having to fight my depression harder and harder, I really could do with a boost from AGN. I don't need to lose it all now when I have less going for me right now....I have a little more money coming in but it can't buy anything for AGN let alone happiness. I was expecting we'd have more active members by now, not less.

I'm trying to think of other software (besides AGNIM) that would support AGN as well as perhaps others. The biggest problem however is graphics....

Doctor Azo
Head Admin
Head Admin
Chatterbox

Postby Doctor Azo » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:35 am

I'm going to paste this excerpt here from the HoW thread (yes, it's my post and I grant myself permission :[:P]):

This has actually been on my mind for quite a while, but lately it's looking more and more attractive....that is, a new and separate website to fill in the gaps [Redacted] should provide and providing a friendlier and fairer space for the majority of us, without all the political BS too.

I was thinking of joining Arocalypse, mainly for aromantics, but it's too much like [Redacted] and there are some [Redacted] there that made me leave [Redacted]. It also has a little too narrow of an appeal - I like something that applies to asexuals, non-asexuals, aromantics and romantics alike.

So now I've decided, basically, to start a social online community for asexuals, aromantics and others to meet, talk and generally goof-off in. Forums for relationship, orientation, etc discussions will be provided too and perhaps off-forum pages with more info to guide new members. Basically it'll be a refined version of the social part [Redacted], with a better administration, but also room to offer so much more, such as more ways to interact and spaces to get to know each other and other features can be easily be integrated unlike what IPB provides.

• I want (the latest) phpBB again. PhpBB has released 3.2 lately, offering even more features (and performance enhancements and such), putting it once again on-par with the latest IPB plus more, so I think that'll be a good start. Being phpBB, it can be customised beyond recognition, extended and enhanced without any concern about licencing. Also linking data between that and software like .NET apps will be a piece of cake compared.
  • I don't want it to be just for and about asexuals, I want others to come too as long as they respect the rules.
  • While religious and political debates shouldn't be allowed, I think the admin/modship will be pretty well relaxed and use the same reminder/warn/ban or flexible system we use here, unlike [Redacted] rigid and rusty one where the sneaky anti-socials manipulate and cheat to evade. The problem is [Redacted] tightens up the rules or lowers the tolerance but only the clumsy ones get hit harder while the real bad ones are left laughing more often then not.
  • I don't want to just be another and better version of [Redacted] that leeches some members from there - I want something that offers more in the long term and, most of all, something that appeals to new members and ex-members that didn't join or left it for good reasons.
  • I want to appeal more to those who are uncertain, demisexual or grey-a like myself just as much. I also like to appeal to celibates as well.
  • I want it to appeal to men as much as women. [Redacted] is too misandristic and when it tries to counteract it, it goes misogynistic.
  • I want admins/mods to be picked by the staff based on their qualities and behaviour, like here, not popularity contests or those who can persuade those with their words and charm like on [Redacted].
  • Maybe add personal/profile blogs. That can help members quickly and effectively find out more about the person and offer a less-public platform for members to unleash their thoughts and such.
  • A points/reward system for thanks/likes, posts and topic starting. This will add an incentive to take part on it.

Before you mention [Redacted] though just remember it's rather dead and abysmally moderated and often used as a troll's cesspit.

Add here what you'd like to see (or don't want to see)....

Cement
Very regular
Very regular
Medals: 1
HoW access
Has Liked: 2 posts
Liked for: 176 posts

Postby Cement » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:14 pm

For what it's worth, my opinion is that there isn't much incentive to be active here. As most members just seem to write 1-2 words into the forum games like automatons, which isn't interesting to read. No offence meant people, I'm just as guilty :SB:s. For example: When you're just adding game name into threads like "what are you playing right now", I just skim over that without even acknowledging it. It would be more interesting if people would write at least a short description what's going on in their game and what fun things they've done, etc. Much of it is about effort in my opinion. When active members put effort into their forum content, but if all the replies and discussions end up beind very low effort from the participants, it's going to discourage people to be active. So, there's always the lack of interesting content, never ending cycle without active members, sadly.

I feel like forums about gaming universally for very specialiced audience, like us ace's sounds like a doomed idea. It's just easier to discuss about most games in IM's(communities on discord etc.). Forums decicated to a single game or genre make more sense to me anyway. Finding game company for a game is easier too if you stick to communities related to said game. Narrowing your search for gaming company to just ace's just makes it harder to find people who play the same stuff.

That's just a small part of why this community doesn't feel that interesting. The Ace angle doesn't really add any value to the community for me either, because in my case it's all dealt with and done. Nothing left to discuss there. I've moved back to communities on other platforms where I've already had a presence to begin with, as they're much more active. I suspect that many others have moved on too concentrating more on their older online social circles or something completely new.
Games are a waste of time, but they're a fun waste of time.
ravenpie52
Not-so-new
Not-so-new
Medals: 3
AGN's MC player Landlord HoW access
Has Liked: 4 posts
Liked for: 84 posts

Postby ravenpie52 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:30 pm

For me, I've found myself with little to talk about. A lot of the threads that usually have long discussions involve things that I am not well versed in. I can't write reviews for games, or talk about experiences involving online play, or discuss representation in media, or other things like that (I've also never been involved with AVEN, so that is something I can't add anything to.). I'm pretty limited to just the general discussions/general game discussions, creativity, and post game forums. And, I've also run out of inspiration for projects in the Minecraft server. When everything is all settled, I find myself having a hard time to keep playing. I need projects that I feel invigorated to do, like my house, the flower shop, the maze, and the building contest area.

Most of this falls on me really. I think I just need to invest more in the areas that I can. I've been spreading out my time on other things besides AGN and I should probably put back more time into this. I'll put time into playing more on the Minecraft server, but one of the problems is that it plays a lot like single player, since it is rare now to see other people on it. I'll get back into the creative forum, and probably write more about anime in the general discussions forum.
{INSERT WITTY SIGNATURE HERE}

Return to “Suggestions and Complaints”