Cygnus2122
Not-so-new
Not-so-new
Medals: 2
First year AGNer HoW access
Liked for: 21 posts

Wanting to get started in minecraft.

Postby Cygnus2122 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:39 am

I would very much like to get started helping on the minecraft server.

I'll download it today. What do I need to do to get started?
Doctor Azo
Head Admin
Head Admin
Medals: 6
Referrer AGN's MC player AGN's TF2 player First year AGNer Kiloposter HoW access
Has Liked: 176 posts
Liked for: 1212 posts

Re: Wanting to get started in minecraft.

Postby Doctor Azo » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:12 pm

There're lots of not-so-official resources out there to help you get into it but I would recommend playing around with it offline (just create a world under single player) especially if you're like me who's more of a tactile learner. After you get used to the idea and learn the basics feel free to ask more here, or check out the following:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=50
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=80
http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Minecraft_Wiki
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8#bbhowtoconnect

I may write an in-depth guide later to help new players sink their teeth into it. But in the mean time here're a few tips for playing whether off or online:

• If in survival you probably first would want to get some wood from trees (hold left click on nearby wood blocks by default) and make a crafting table (by hitting E by default) and place the wood in the 2 x 2 slots. Then place the craft table on the ground (select the item in your hands by default by scrolling the mouse wheel, then click right to place) and right click the CT to interact and bring up the 3 x 3 table. Make a pick axe so you can mine stone by:
    1. On any craft screen, place one log in any slot to obtain planks.
    2. Place two planks on another vertically (1 x 2) anywhere to generate sticks. Make some more planks too.
    3. On another screen, place two sticks vertically and top it (above) with three planks horizontally (3 x 1), to roughly resemble the shape of the tool which is how most items are made.
  • When digging/mining, don't mine straight down or you could fall into unexpected lava, caves, ravines or other dangers. Also don't dig directly above as lava, hostile mobs or blocks like water, sand and gravel can fall on you. Instead stand on an adjacent block or further.
  • Hold down shift (by default) to crouch and be able to look over edges without falling. Remember to crouch away from an edge before releasing.
  • You probably need to get some food ASAP too, so try breaking some tree leaves to drop the occasional (if not rare) apple, kill some pigs, chickens or cows for meat drops and other materials, craft a fishing rod and go fish (can be hard and time consuming) and even invest in a farm early. You may also craft a bowl with 3 planks placed in a V shape on a 3x3 craft screen, then put one red and brown mushroom side by side and the bowl under the right mushroom to craft mushroom stew. The bowl can be reused after you consume it (right click with it in hand). If you have meat, you'll need to cook it in a furnace. If you're lucky you might've spawned near a "natural" village, which may be growing carrots and other vegetation and carrots can be eaten raw.
  • Craft a bed (with three planks and three wool blocks) when you can and sleep from dusk to dawn. Any hostile mobs will not spawn in the open if you sleep as soon as it allows you. But you can prevent any hostile mob anyway by playing on "peaceful" setting on single player.
  • Craft torches (one stick under a coal) before going mining or exploring.
Community Rules | Newcomer FAQ | Our MC server FAQ | Our TF2 server FAQ
Need help with AGN? Check out the Tech forum.
Drop suggestions & complaints in the Suggestions forum, or PM me.
Our Twitter: @AceGamersNetwrk

I'm a programmer not a coder. A coder is something or someone who translates or encodes information.
Cygnus2122
Not-so-new
Not-so-new
Medals: 2
First year AGNer HoW access
Liked for: 21 posts

Postby Cygnus2122 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:46 pm

My I get a invite to the server?
Doctor Azo
Head Admin
Head Admin
Medals: 6
Referrer AGN's MC player AGN's TF2 player First year AGNer Kiloposter HoW access
Has Liked: 176 posts
Liked for: 1212 posts

Postby Doctor Azo » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:57 am

There's no such thing as invites for our game servers, only white-lists or linked registrations which may become automated in the future. Post your MC username (or even GUID) here or PM me it.
Community Rules | Newcomer FAQ | Our MC server FAQ | Our TF2 server FAQ
Need help with AGN? Check out the Tech forum.
Drop suggestions & complaints in the Suggestions forum, or PM me.
Our Twitter: @AceGamersNetwrk

I'm a programmer not a coder. A coder is something or someone who translates or encodes information.

Return to “MineCraft”