View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 5:51 am

Online Users

In total there are 3 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests

Most users ever online was 84 on Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:02 pm

Registered users: Baidu [Spider] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

Search

Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Development blog (ish) 
Head Admin
Head Admin

Has Liked: 179 posts
Liked for: 1221 posts
Medals: 6
Referrer (1) AGN's MC player (1) AGN's TF2 player (1) First year AGNer (1) Kiloposter (1) HoW access (1)
I might release the client later but probably not the server applications. I'll have to add some more comments and clean up the code a bit first to make it worthwhile though.

Is it a private matter? PM me!
AGN's Twitter: @AceGamersNetwrk

"Creativity is intelligence having fun." - Albert Einstein

Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:08 pm
Head Admin
Head Admin

Referrer (1) AGN's MC player (1) AGN's TF2 player (1) First year AGNer (1) Kiloposter (1) HoW access (1)
Working on the smilies at the moment....currently all of AGN's forum smilies have been "imported".

Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:41 am
Head Admin
Head Admin

I've done over 270 lines of code today....all to do with smilies. :SByay x 42

Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:34 pm
Super poster
Super poster

Has Liked: 1274 posts
Liked for: 841 posts
Medals: 4
Referrer (1) First year AGNer (1) Kiloposter (1) AGN Artist (1)
Doctor Azo wrote:
I've done over 270 lines of code today....all to do with smilies. :SByay x 42

Wow! That is awesome! :SByay :SByay :SByay :SByay Totally worth it. :[:D]

Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:49 am
Head Admin
Head Admin

It wasn't that incredible since most of it was copy+paste. :[:P]

Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:19 am
Head Admin
Head Admin

So lately I've been thinking of resuming development, and with a few more ideas to add to AGNIM it might be worth it after all in the long term. However there're a few things I need to address....I'll list them here to remind me later:

• I'm going to need to review pretty much all of the code, and maybe make some changes. This could take a while because it's been so long.
  • I need either to allow multi-logins or the ability to kick the other client off, with the logged in being alerted. The latter would be easier and less messy.
  • Currently it uses Lidgren, which uses UDP only (with it's own reliability management) and doesn't support IPv6 without some modification. Worse, the last update to the build was done over a year ago with some of the requests still not fulfilled after several years. I've found one alternative already: http://www.networkcomms.net/. But is it very similar to Lidgren, requiring not so much revision and editing? Am I going for a TCP and UDP setup? Lidgren accepts multiple variables (like Bytes, 32 bit unsigned integers, Strings, etc) and it converts, writes the bytes to a buffer and back again automatically....does this one do that too?
  • Reinstall Xamarian and all its dependencies, learn C#, test on mobile. But the main AGNIM client wouldn't be directly compatible with phones other than Windows phones, which hardly anyone has. That means two versions....I doubt it'll be worth it for now.
  • And stuff.

Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:12 pm
Head Admin
Head Admin

Reinstalled MySQL server, moved all databases and fixed problems after hours of trying to find what's wrong. Dear MySQL installer 5.5, if I tell you to go entirely on my secondary drive, you go on my secondary drive. Yours frustratingly, DA.

It's a slow start.

Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:13 pm
Jr. Community Manager
Jr. Community Manager

Has Liked: 201 posts
Liked for: 659 posts
Referrer (1) AGN's MC player (1) AGN's TF2 player (1) Kiloposter (1) HoW access (1) Bug finder (1)
Doctor Azo wrote:
Reinstalled MySQL server, moved all databases and fixed problems after hours of trying to find what's wrong. Dear MySQL installer 5.5, if I tell you to go entirely on my secondary drive, you go on my secondary drive. Yours frustratingly, DA.

It's a slow start.

ouch I hope the rest of your reinstall works better. and I also hope that the rogue A.I. that is making it so hard for you starts playing with another human toy.

Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:08 am
Profile WWW
Head Admin
Head Admin

I stayed up longer yesterday to do all that. :[:P] Something they won't tell you when copying over the data directory (I know, should've just used SQL dumps): replace the ib_logfile0 and ib_logfile1 with the new/fresh installed copies. They're just InnoDB journals, so your data should remain intact as long as the previous MySQL server finished writing and closed down properly last time. Still I wanted (if not needed) to check, repair and optimise all that could so I manually fired up mysqlcheck.exe....which also was easier said than done. :SBuhuh

Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:14 am
Jr. Community Manager
Jr. Community Manager

Referrer (1) AGN's MC player (1) AGN's TF2 player (1) Kiloposter (1) HoW access (1) Bug finder (1)
you know someday i may understand what that all means. but for now i wish you luck in your escapades in to SQL land

Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:43 am
Profile WWW
Head Admin
Head Admin

And remember....always escape your apostrophes inputted in a SQL statement. :[:P]

Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:47 pm
Head Admin
Head Admin

I've decided against NetworkComms, it's far too different from Lidgren which would require a lot of time and effort learning and especially for editing the code on all programs. Also it's sacrifices easy-to-understand code and efficiency for fewer lines and laziness....basically you have to add handlers for Objects (like variables and classes) and it "serializes" and "deserializes" (attempts to convert said data into byte arrays unlike Lidgren which you write one handler sub which proceeds to determine the message is a connection status change, an error, etc or data and try to read a certain number of bytes at a time in the buffer, allowing you to create/set variables on the fly, in a flexible and efficient manner). Things like CType() is generally frowned upon too because it's a dangerous (prone to errors) and inefficient (computationally expensive) way to convert data types....and it's a sign of sheer laziness....so should only be used where the procedure needs to be flexible (where we don't know the kind of data type that's coming through) and where we have an error handler. There's nothing to say the variable's bytes are written as efficiently and neatly to a buffer before being sent either. What if the data is checked and recast anyway? Still, the way to create connections, initialise, connect, handle events and data is too different and would require a huge make over of many hours of work. The principles of the examples and required methods are not compatible with my own either.

So this should keep things clear, and not delay progress any longer than necessary.

Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:28 am
Head Admin
Head Admin

Unfortunately there's a strange bug that's eating messages and I can't even begin finding out what's causing it....I've tried updates, rebuilds, using debug editions of Lidgren, etc....but nothing is telling me what's wrong....nought, nada, nothing. I don't even know what's changed since I last ran it but while the client "connects", the main server is (apparently) sending the packet(s) containing client keys (used for encrypting logins) but the client never receives them, there's absolutely no reason for it to do nothing. The only thing I can think of is MS has since changed some underlying network code (or something like that) and Lidgren (the network library that makes networking easier) hasn't updated to address that....either way I can't restore a working copy.

Lidgren is effectively dead, but the alternatives will be a nightmare to implement. This means it's going to take a long time and a lot of effort learning, testing and rewriting a lot of AGNIM. It might be better starting a fresh and copying much of the usable code I've done already but it doesn't mean it'll be quicker, just less messy and confusing.

Sadly there isn't enough interest or use (especially with Discord being mainstream) at the moment which is killing any motivation for doing the above, and resuming the ton of other work needed still. Yeah, a few active members is no where near enough. If I can't find a remedy for this soon I may have to cancel project AGNIM.

Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:02 pm
Head Admin
Head Admin

nvm fixd

:SB:D

Spoiler:
I still don't know exactly what's changed to cause it (or can quite remember what I've done since the last test run) but I found out the problem outside of the Lidgren library and made a minor adjustment which now causes 100% successful connections instead of < 10%. :SByay

When the client connects, which involves a 3-way exchange before it's officially established, the server used to try to issue a public key (for encryption) very quickly after calling Approve() (which tells the managed network library to send a response to the requesting client and enter the 2nd stage) but if the connection isn't "officially connected" it won't bother sending any other messages to the referenced connection (peer class). So all I did was move most of the code (my own "connection" object initialisation and pub key issuing stuff) from the ConnectionApproval "event" (case) to the StatusChanged "event" (case) under the "Connected" sub case (which is always executed when the third and affirmative handshake arrives). So now it works without a flaw....and will even if the response from the client is significantly slower....

Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:33 pm
Head Admin
Head Admin

Depression strikes again. I was too busy yesterday to do much either. Sufficient progress has been made before that however. I don't even care about punctuation in this post. Because stuff?

Sun May 07, 2017 12:58 am
Jr. Community Manager
Jr. Community Manager

well hang in their doc and in a few years time when I am done studying to be a computer network administrator. I may have some skills that would help out in this process, but tell then I'm rather not useful but if there is any way I could help feel free to ask im open to helping.

Sun May 07, 2017 5:58 am
Profile WWW
Head Admin
Head Admin

So today I'm working on adding contacts/friends using the IM window to accept add requests. It's occurred to me before now that this is a lot of work for something rather simple.

So why is it taking so long? Security, reliability, efficiency and scalability to a certain degree. It makes efficient/compact logs of a lot of things, which'll help track down bugs and system failures. It needs to ensure both users and fake clients can't break anything. There will be additions, extensions and other changes that don't require so much over-writing. I need a flexible chat window that easily allows placement of smilies at least. I like to handle more things, like updating avatars, in a way that we can depend on and without wasting so much storage space or bandwidth. I'm also making this mostly multi-threaded, with managed "orders" that won't hold-up the server-sided systems or crash it or corrupt data. I even recently had to go over the DB and spent time revising and tweaking charsets/collations. And other stuff.

Making a flexible and durable program designed to serve many times the amount of registered members we have yet is easier said than done.

Mon May 08, 2017 5:55 am
Head Admin
Head Admin

I'm still working on the contact adding feature....it's harder that it sounds because the invites are written to the DB in their own table, delivering a message to the contact until they respond to the request unless they're already a mutual friend....or blocked.

This is a must before any early testing because the only way to edit contacts so far is for me to manually do it in the DB. At least I'm making good progress since....

Sat May 13, 2017 7:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3